Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Pretty Little Dinosaur

Day 10, August 4

Unfortunately, I have searched my ENTIRE home for the cord that connects my camera to my computer. It will turn up, but I don't want to withhold an update just because I don't have pictures.

Puppy (whom I sometimes call Jellybean, but name is still not official) is doing well. She still pretty much sleeps all of the time but when she is awake (eating, following me around, going outside for the bathroom), she seems to have more life in her. Her head isn't as droopy and she has a little more pep.

She has been dewormed again and is now taking Metronidozole, which is an anti-diareah medicine. She poops alot, aways outside, but has little piddles of pee inside. They are so small though, it is kind of cute.

She no longer has blood crusties all over her face, just a patch on the left side. She is just really flaky right now. I gave her the second bath; overbathing isn't good because the body's natural oil production is helpful.

She gets fed 3 times a day, total of 3 cups. I took her in to the clinic today and she only gained an ounce: 16.6 lbs. That is disappointing because she has been cared for very well since she has been here and I was hoping she had gained weight, so her ivermectin dose can increase for more mange-fighting power. Well, dosage remains the same at .16 cc's a day. It is believed that she hasn't gained weight because her body is using all of the nutrients/calories to fight off the infection and heal itself. It was recommended that I give her peanut butter, because it is high in calories and a "good" fat. I am also going to refer to Linsday from the Chic Petique for some advice on how to help her put on more weight.

Puppy has begun showing more interest in marrow bones that are laying around the house. She also had her first bully stick. She wasn't quite sure what to do with it but by watching Maya and Rufus (foster dog available for adoption) devour theirs, she soon caught on. She loves to snuggle and has gained enough strength to pull herself onto the couch without help so she has just been a couch potato. No more "invite-only" rule.

Oh- when I was leaving the shelter, three older women were going into the shelter. They stopped me, did the whole "ooh" and "ahh" thing. I told them her story and one of the ladies just kept saying "she's beautiful!" I am awed by the fact that people can see her beauty, despite her outward appearance.

I will post pics and videos as soon as I find my cord…I promise. She def looks better =)

ps. the pic here was taken today by my good friend, Stacey. You can see her face is no longer blood-crusty everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. And her feet are starting to look less swollen and puffy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love her little alien fingers! the worms may have been preventing any weight gain :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHe also tested negative for Parvo. As soon as she had diarrhea I brought a stool sample in right away. But, it was negative and they also "ran a fecal", which was negative. Not sure what that entailed, but negative was good =)

    ReplyDelete